• Contact Us
  • Login
Subscribe
LittleAfrica News
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • Immigration
  • 2026 Elections
  • International
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • Immigration
  • 2026 Elections
  • International
No Result
View All Result
LittleAfrica News
No Result
View All Result
Home News Metro

Two Construction Workers Dead After Construction Accident at JFK Airport

Mymoena Davids by Mymoena Davids
April 4, 2023
in Metro
Two Construction Workers Dead After Construction Accident at JFK Airport
87
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Two construction workers died on Monday, April 3rd at JFK Airport, after rubble fell on top of them, according to the Port Authority. The workers were in a 30 foot trench when the incident occurred at Building 49 on airport grounds. The incident took place around 11 am, while the construction workers were reportedly relocating utility lines as part of redevelopment work being carried out at the airport. The Port Authority Police Department, the FDNY, and EMS immediately responded to the scene. The construction workers were eventually pulled from beneath the rubble around 1 pm and were declared dead on the scene.

While flight activity was not affected, according to the Port Authority, the accident caused minimal delays in areas of the airport close to where it occurred. However, redevelopment work being carried out had to be stopped. “A stop order for all construction at JFK has been issued,” a Port Authority spokesperson said. “The Port Authority is conducting a thorough investigation and will be cooperating with all other investigative agencies.”

“My thoughts are with the loved ones of two people tragically killed while working on a construction site at @JFKairport earlier today,” Gov. Kathy Hochul tweeted on Monday. “[The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey] is conducting a thorough investigation of the incident.”

City Council Speaker Adrienne Adams and Transportation and Infrastructure Chair Selvena N. Brooks-Powers released a joint statement pointing out how this was the third death to occur in a workplace at JFK Airport in the last few weeks. The statement went on to acknowledge JFK Airport’s importance to New York City and the communities of Southeast Queens. “Residents, workers, and visitors alike deserve to be safe—and that must include the essential workers who contribute to the daily activity and success of the airport and surrounding communities,” the statement said.

According to the Gothamist, construction worker deaths in New York City reached a five-year high in 2022. A total of 22 construction workers were killed last year as per statistics from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration. Construction workers deserve to work in safe environments, more so because the construction workforce in the city is largely made up of vulnerable people such as formerly incarcerated people and immigrants.

Tags: AccidentConstructionConstruction WorkersJFK AirportLittleAfrica NewsNew York CityRedevelopment

Related Posts

Former NYPD Official   Taylor and SaferWatch CEO Geno Roefaro Charged in Bribery Case
Metro

Former NYPD Official Taylor and SaferWatch CEO Geno Roefaro Charged in Bribery Case

February 13, 2026
0
Lt. Gov. Antonio Delgado Names Buffalo Progressive India Walton as Running Mate
2026 Elections

Lt. Gov. Antonio Delgado Names Buffalo Progressive India Walton as Running Mate

February 5, 2026
0
Brooklyn Democratic Party Pulls Support After Governor Hochul Names Adrienne Adams Running Mate
Metro

Brooklyn Democratic Party Pulls Support After Governor Hochul Names Adrienne Adams Running Mate

February 5, 2026
0
City Councilmember Julie Won Launches Bid for NY-7 Seat
2026 Elections

City Councilmember Julie Won Launches Bid for NY-7 Seat

February 3, 2026
0
Minority and Women-Owned Businesses Receive Only 5% of NYC City Contracts, Comptroller Reports
Metro

Minority and Women-Owned Businesses Receive Only 5% of NYC City Contracts, Comptroller Reports

January 31, 2026
0
LittleAfrica News Logo

Local, National, and International News for the Diaspora

BOMESI - Black Owned Media Equity and Sustainability Institute

Recent Posts

  • Former NYPD Official Taylor and SaferWatch CEO Geno Roefaro Charged in Bribery Case
  • Trump Administration Ends Temporary Protected Status for Yemen with 60 Day Departure
  • U.S. Deploys 200 Troops to Nigeria to Train Forces Against Militants
  • Federal Court Allows Trump Administration to End TPS for 60,000 Migrants
  • House to Vote on SAVE Act Amid Strong Public Support for Voter ID

Menu

  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • Immigration
  • 2026 Elections
  • International

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Home
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Mona Davids, Founder and Publisher
  • Mymoena Kalinisan-Davids, Director of Communications and Editor-in-Chief
  • Newspaper Digital Editions

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?