• Contact Us
  • Login
Subscribe
LittleAfrica News
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • NYC 2025 Elections
    • Public Advocate Candidates Forum
    • Comptroller Candidates Forum
    • Meet The Candidates Video Interview Series
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • International
    • Africa
    • Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Latin America
  • Podcasts
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • NYC 2025 Elections
    • Public Advocate Candidates Forum
    • Comptroller Candidates Forum
    • Meet The Candidates Video Interview Series
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • International
    • Africa
    • Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Latin America
  • Podcasts
No Result
View All Result
LittleAfrica News
No Result
View All Result
Home News International

South Africa Calls for ICJ Intervention in Gaza Conflict to Avert “Large-Scale Killing,” Fears of Escalation in Rafah

Mymoena Davids by Mymoena Davids
February 14, 2024
in Africa, International
Israel Vows to Contest South Africa’s Genocide Accusations at ICJ
0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

South Africa has made a formal appeal to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), seeking its intervention in Israel’s announced expansion of military operations to Rafah, a densely populated area in the southern Gaza Strip that they had previously told Palestinians would be safe from air raids and military intervention. 

South Africa’s Tuesday, February 13th,  appeal comes amid concerns of extensive casualties and destruction, potentially violating international law and previous ICJ orders directed at preventing genocide against Palestinians. 

Last month, the ICJ mandated Israel to take preventive actions against the genocide of Palestinians following a lawsuit filed by South Africa. 

Despite Israel’s denial of any wrongdoing and insistence on its right to self-defense against Hamas, the planned extension into Rafah, the last area in the Gaza Strip that Palestinians were told was safe to evacuate to, has escalated fears of further humanitarian crises.

In a statement from South Africa, the government expressed its grave concerns over the potential for “large-scale killing, harm, and destruction” in Rafah, stressing that such actions would contravene both the Genocide Convention and the ICJ’s directive. 

South Africa referenced Article 75, section 1 of the Court’s procedural rules, highlighting that the court “may at any time decide to examine proprio motu whether the circumstances of the case require the indication of provisional measures which ought to be taken or complied with by any or all of the parties.”

The international community awaits a response from the ICJ, which has historically issued emergency measures to change situations on the ground.

The heart of the matter remains unaddressed by the court: whether the actions in Gaza constitute genocide. 

Nonetheless, the ICJ has recognized the Palestinians’ right to protection and ordered Israel to facilitate the entry of humanitarian aid. Videos from the borders of the Gaza Strip show Israelis protesting and forming blockades to prevent the entry of humanitarian aid to Palestinians, whose population is nearly majority under the age of 18.

South Africa’s recent plea highlights the urgent need for additional safeguards to preserve Palestinian lives, especially after recent attacks in Rafah resulted in numerous casualties and further displacement.

After the October 7th attack, Israel dropped pamphlets from the sky onto the Gaza Strip urging Palestinians to move south towards Rafah for safety. They called for the displacement of nearly 2 million Palestinians for “their protection.” Rafah, which was supposed to be safeguarded from attacks, has now seen an air and ground invasion by Israeli forces.

The conflict has already had a devastating impact on Gaza’s population, with Palestinian health officials reporting over 28,000 deaths, the majority being women and children.

Approximately 80% of the population has been displaced, with a humanitarian crisis exacerbating conditions and driving over a quarter of the population toward starvation.

 

Tags: GazaGenocideGovernmentICJInternational Court of JusticeIsraelPalestiniansPoliticsSouth Africa

Related Posts

African Union Backs Push to Correct Global Maps, Phase out Mercator Map, and Restore Africa’s True Scale
Africa

African Union Backs Push to Correct Global Maps, Phase out Mercator Map, and Restore Africa’s True Scale

August 17, 2025
0
New U.S. Visa Bond Requirement Targets Travelers from Malawi and Zambia
Africa

New U.S. Visa Bond Requirement Targets Travelers from Malawi and Zambia

August 6, 2025
0
Paul Kagame, US-Africa Leaders Summit
Africa

Rwanda to Accept Migrant Deportees from the United States

August 5, 2025
0
Tsunami Alerts Issued Across Pacific After Powerful Russia Earthquake
International

Tsunami Alerts Issued Across Pacific After Powerful Russia Earthquake

July 30, 2025
0
Crew Member Dies After Stabbing Colleague on Royal Caribbean Ship
International

Crew Member Dies After Stabbing Colleague on Royal Caribbean Ship

July 26, 2025
0

VOICE and LAN Newspapers Retailers

LittleAfrica News Logo

Local, National, and International News for the Diaspora

BOMESI - Black Owned Media Equity and Sustainability Institute

Recent Posts

  • 69-Year-Old Grandmother Robin Wright Fatally Shot in East Harlem, NYPD Intensifies Search For Shooters
  • NYC Campaign Finance Board Announces General Election Debates Schedule and Criteria
  • New York City Campaign Finance Board Denies Mayor Adams Matching Funds for 11th Time
  • Secretary of State Marco Rubio Announces Review of 55 Million U.S. Visas
  • Minnesota DFL Yanks Omar Fateh’s Endorsement For Mayor

Menu

  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • NYC 2025 Elections
    • Public Advocate Candidates Forum
    • Comptroller Candidates Forum
    • Meet The Candidates Video Interview Series
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • International
    • Africa
    • Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Latin America
  • Podcasts

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Home
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Mona Davids, Founder and Publisher
  • Mymoena Kalinisan-Davids, Director of Communications and Editor-in-Chief
  • Newspaper Digital Editions

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?