• Contact Us
  • Login
Subscribe
LittleAfrica News
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • NYC 2025 Elections
    • Public Advocate Candidates Forum
    • Comptroller Candidates Forum
    • Meet The Candidates Video Interview Series
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • International
    • Africa
    • Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Latin America
  • Podcasts
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • NYC 2025 Elections
    • Public Advocate Candidates Forum
    • Comptroller Candidates Forum
    • Meet The Candidates Video Interview Series
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • International
    • Africa
    • Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Latin America
  • Podcasts
No Result
View All Result
LittleAfrica News
No Result
View All Result
Home News Metro

Hochul Announces Major Subway Security Overhaul, Including National Guard Assistance and New Measures to Curb Crime

Mymoena Davids by Mymoena Davids
March 10, 2024
in Metro
MTA Staffer Shoots, Critically Injures Man
0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

New York Governor Kathy Hochul is deploying the state National Guard to New York City to assist the police in tackling a rise in subway crime.

Hochul unveiled a five-point plan on Wednesday, revealing that 750 National Guard members would be deployed to the subways to aid the New York Police Department in conducting bag searches at entrances to busy train stations.

She said, “For people who are thinking about bringing a gun or knife on the subway, at least this creates a deterrent effect. They might be thinking, ‘You know what, it just may just not be worth it because I listened to the mayor and I listened to the governor and they have a lot more people who are going to be checking my bags.'” 

The plan encompasses an increase in state personnel to aid in NYPD’s bag inspection efforts, the introduction of a legislative proposal to empower judges with the authority to prohibit repeat violent offenders from accessing the subway, the installation of additional surveillance cameras within conductor cabins, enhanced coordination between prosecutors and law enforcement, and the expansion of outreach efforts alongside the existing Safe Options Support (SOS) teams.

Hochul stated, “Let me be very, very clear. These brazen, heinous attacks on our subway system will not be tolerated,” Hochul said. “This will not stand – not on my watch.”

The plan also included a legislative proposal to ban individuals convicted of assaulting subway passengers from trains for three years and an additional $20 million allocation for expanding subway outreach programs, though it is unclear how her administration plans on enforcing the subway ban.

The governor’s announcement comes a day after Mayor Eric Adams announced intentions to reintroduce enhanced security measures at specific stations across the five boroughs.

Critics, such as Donna Lieberman of the New York Civil Liberties Union, argue that the governor’s approach represents an overzealous response that may revive ineffective and controversial policing tactics from the past. 

Mayor Adams, who could not attend Hochul’s briefing due to scheduling conflicts, has been vocal on various media platforms about addressing the issue of repeat offenders, which he identifies as the core problem. 

“We don’t have a surge in crime, we have a surge in recidivism,” Adams articulated.

Amidst these strategic deployments, New York City has seen a mix of progress and persistent challenges.

While overall crime rates have shown signs of decline since the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the subway system has been the scene of several violent acts, including stabbings and unprovoked attacks, that have left the city on edge. 

Last week, a subway conductor was stabbed in the neck in Brooklyn, a 27-year-old was slashed in hand in Manhattan, and a 61-year-old man was stabbed in the stomach in the Bronx, all in three separate incidents of transit violence within 48 hours. 

This week, another incident occurred where a man was kicked onto the tracks at Penn Station.

In response, the NYPD has ramped up its efforts, resulting in a 17% reduction in subway crime following the addition of 1,000 officers to the transit beat.

However, subway crime is still up 13% compared to the last year. The NYPD transit police are currently investigating 86 assaults, an increase from last year’s 77. 

Also, three homicides occurred in the subway system during January and February.

 

Tags: CrimeEric AdamsKathy HochulMTANational GuardSubway

Related Posts

Mamdani Requests Resignations from 179 Adams Staffers
Mayor-Elect Mamdani

Mamdani Requests Resignations from 179 Adams Staffers

November 26, 2025
0
Cuomo Urges Democrats to Act on Results and Rebuild Public Trust
Metro

Cuomo Urges Democrats to Act on Results and Rebuild Public Trust

November 24, 2025
0
Trump Says He Will Be Cheering for Mamdani as NYC Mayor
Mayor-Elect Mamdani

Trump Says He Will Be Cheering for Mamdani as NYC Mayor

November 22, 2025
0
Are Our Streets A Highway for Political Theater Controlled by Special Interest and New Residents of Our City ????
Metro

Are Our Streets A Highway for Political Theater Controlled by Special Interest and New Residents of Our City ????

November 20, 2025
0
Trump to Meet Mayor-Elect Mamdani as NYC Prepares for Federal Challenges
Mayor-Elect Mamdani

Trump to Meet Mayor-Elect Mamdani as NYC Prepares for Federal Challenges

November 20, 2025
0
LittleAfrica News Logo

Local, National, and International News for the Diaspora

BOMESI - Black Owned Media Equity and Sustainability Institute

Recent Posts

  • West Virginia Guardswoman Dies Following Shooting Near White House
  • Trump Announces Immigration Pause From Third World Countries
  • Trump Announces Exclusion of South Africa From 2026 G20 Summit in the U.S.
  • Mamdani Requests Resignations from 179 Adams Staffers
  • Two National Guard Members Shot Near White House, Shooter Captured

Menu

  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • NYC 2025 Elections
    • Public Advocate Candidates Forum
    • Comptroller Candidates Forum
    • Meet The Candidates Video Interview Series
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • International
    • Africa
    • Caribbean
    • Europe
    • Latin America
  • Podcasts

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Home
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Mona Davids, Founder and Publisher
  • Mymoena Kalinisan-Davids, Director of Communications and Editor-in-Chief
  • Newspaper Digital Editions

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?