• Contact Us
  • Login
Subscribe
LittleAfrica News
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Mamdani Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • 2026 Elections
  • International
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Mamdani Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • 2026 Elections
  • International
No Result
View All Result
LittleAfrica News
No Result
View All Result
Home News International

Ghanaian Footballer Christian Atsu’s Body Found in Turkey Earthquake Rubble

Mymoena Davids by Mymoena Davids
February 18, 2023
in Africa
99
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Saturday, February 18th, Christian Atsu, Ghanaian footballer who played for Turkey’s Hatayspor, was found dead underneath the rubble of the apartment building he lived in. 31-year-old Atsu had been the subject of a desperate search in the aftermath of the earthquakes that affected Turkey and Syria on February 6th. His agent, Nana Sechere, confirmed the news on Twitter on Saturday. 

Tragic News

“It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning. My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones,” Sechere wrote.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support. I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time.”

Atsu joined the Turkish team Hatayspor in September 2022. A day before the earthquake, he had scored a last-minute, match-winning freekick against Kasimpasa. According to Hatayspor’s administrative manager Faith Ilek, Atsu had been scheduled to leave Turkey on a late-night flight on February 5th but canceled his ticket after his match-winning exploits.

“Actually, he was going abroad to visit his family. But when he played well and scored, he canceled his ticket. The earthquake happened on his happiest day. He had a flight at 11 pm. Canceled the ticket. There was an earthquake at 4 am. Absolutely a tragedy,” Ilek said in an interview.

Since Atsu went missing, there were conflicting reports on whether he had been found or not. On February 7, his club announced that he had been found alive, only to see those claims withdrawn after two days. 

Atsu represented Ghana, his home country, 65 times helping his national team to the final of the African Cup of Nations in 2015. He performed exceptionally at the tournament, winning the accolade of Player of the Tournament. 

Atsu spent the majority of his career in England, playing for teams such as Chelsea, Newcastle,  Everton, and Bournemouth. He also spent a part of his career playing in Portugal and Saudi Arabia. 

Christian Atsu, The Philanthropist

While he was renowned for being a soccer player, he had always taken time to be philanthropic. He was an Ambassador for Arms Around the Child, a children-focused charity based in South Africa, Ghana, and India.

“He was always grounded and he had a nice word for everybody. He was a lovely person to deal with and was one heck of a player too. He had a very good left foot and played 65 times for Ghana, scoring more than 10 goals. He paid his dues to the national team,” said Ghana sports broadcaster Michael Oti Adjei.

 

 

Tags: Christian AtsuFootballGhanaLittleAfrica NewsSoccerTurkeyTurkey Earthquake

Related Posts

U.S. Imposes Ebola Screening for U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents Traveling from Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan
Africa

U.S. Imposes Ebola Screening for U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents Traveling from Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan

May 21, 2026
0
U.S. Responds to Ebola Outbreak in Central and East Africa With Funding and Travel Warnings
Africa

U.S. Responds to Ebola Outbreak in Central and East Africa With Funding and Travel Warnings

May 19, 2026
0
U.S. and Nigeria Conduct Air Strikes Against ISIL Fighters in Northeast Nigeria
Africa

U.S. and Nigeria Conduct Air Strikes Against ISIL Fighters in Northeast Nigeria

May 18, 2026
0
U.S. Embassy in Mali Issues Security Alert for Americans to Shelter in Place, Possible Terrorist Movements
Africa

U.S. Embassy in Mali Issues Security Alert for Americans to Shelter in Place, Possible Terrorist Movements

April 28, 2026
0
Ghana Declines $109M U.S. Health Agreement Over Data Sharing Concerns
Africa

Ghana Declines $109M U.S. Health Agreement Over Data Sharing Concerns

April 28, 2026
0
LittleAfrica News Logo

Local, National, and International News for the Diaspora

BOMESI - Black Owned Media Equity and Sustainability Institute

Recent Posts

  • Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Director of National Intelligence Amid Husband’s Cancer Battle
  • Mahmoud Khalil Faces Deportation Risk as Appeals Court Rejects Rehearing
  • Trump Administration Implements New Rule Requiring Most Green Card Applicants to Apply Abroad
  • U.S. Imposes Ebola Screening for U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents Traveling from Congo, Uganda, and South Sudan
  • Federal Judge Blocks ICE Arrests at NYC Immigration Courthouses in Manhattan Ruling

Menu

  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Mamdani Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • 2026 Elections
  • International

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Home
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Mona Davids, Founder and Publisher
  • Mymoena Kalinisan-Davids, Director of Communications and Editor-in-Chief
  • Newspaper Digital Editions

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?