• Contact Us
  • Login
Subscribe
LittleAfrica News
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Mamdani Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • 2026 Elections
  • International
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Mamdani Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • 2026 Elections
  • International
No Result
View All Result
LittleAfrica News
No Result
View All Result
Home News International South Africa

South African Sports Minister McKenzie Backs Call for Afghanistan Cricket Boycott

Isabella Rodriguez by Isabella Rodriguez
January 10, 2025
in Africa, International, South Africa
0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

On Thursday, January 9th, South Africa’s Sports Minister Gayton McKenzie backed calls for a boycott of Afghanistan in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy, scheduled for February 21st in Pakistan. The match, where South Africa will face Afghanistan, has gained attention due to the Taliban’s ongoing restrictions on women’s rights since their return to power in 2021.

McKenzie expressed concern over Afghanistan’s treatment of women, urging Cricket South Africa to reconsider honoring the fixture. “Cricket South Africa, the federations of other countries and the ICC [International Cricket Council] will have to think carefully about the message the sport of cricket wishes to send the world, and especially the women in sports,” McKenzie said.

While McKenzie emphasized the moral duty to take action, he acknowledged that the decision to boycott the match ultimately rests with the cricket governing body. “It is not for me as the sports minister to decide whether South Africa should honour cricketing fixtures against Afghanistan. If it was my decision, then it certainly would not happen,” he added.

Reflecting on his own experience with racial inequality during South Africa’s apartheid era, McKenzie compared the oppression of women in Afghanistan to the injustices he faced. “As a man who comes from a race that was not allowed equal access to sporting opportunities during apartheid, it would be hypocritical and immoral to look the other way today when the same is being done towards women anywhere in the world,” McKenzie said.

Cricket South Africa responded by stating that it would follow the ICC’s guidance on the matter. The organization condemned the suppression of women’s rights in Afghanistan, saying, “CSA finds the treatment and suppression of women’s rights in Afghanistan abhorrent and firmly believes that women’s cricket deserves equal recognition and resources.” However, they stressed that decisions about Afghanistan’s participation must align with ICC regulations.

The call for action is not limited to South Africa. More than 160 British politicians have signed a letter urging the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to join the boycott against Afghanistan. ECB Chief Executive Richard Gould responded by calling for a uniform approach from all cricketing nations toward Afghanistan’s participation. Australia, too, has faced similar pressures, having previously postponed a bilateral series with Afghanistan due to human rights concerns.

As the Champions Trophy approaches, the ICC and its member nations face a crucial decision. Their actions could send a strong message about human rights in sports.

Tags: AfghanistanCricket BoycottGayton McKenzieICC Champions TrophySouth Africa

Related Posts

Trump Administration Moves to Expand Refugee Program for White South Africans to 17,500
South Africa

Trump Administration Moves to Expand Refugee Program for White South Africans to 17,500

May 20, 2026
0
U.S. Responds to Ebola Outbreak in Central and East Africa With Funding and Travel Warnings
Africa

U.S. Responds to Ebola Outbreak in Central and East Africa With Funding and Travel Warnings

May 19, 2026
0
U.S. and Nigeria Conduct Air Strikes Against ISIL Fighters in Northeast Nigeria
Africa

U.S. and Nigeria Conduct Air Strikes Against ISIL Fighters in Northeast Nigeria

May 18, 2026
0
Fadiel Adams Granted R10,000 Bail in Fraud and Justice Obstruction Case
South Africa

Fadiel Adams Granted R10,000 Bail in Fraud and Justice Obstruction Case

May 15, 2026
0
NCC Leader Fadiel Adams Faces Bail Opposition as State Cites History of Defiance and Legal Breaches
South Africa

NCC Leader Fadiel Adams Faces Bail Opposition as State Cites History of Defiance and Legal Breaches

May 13, 2026
0
LittleAfrica News Logo

Local, National, and International News for the Diaspora

BOMESI - Black Owned Media Equity and Sustainability Institute

Recent Posts

  • Trump Administration Moves to Expand Refugee Program for White South Africans to 17,500
  • How Trump’s HR1 Is Disrupting Medicaid Coverage for Immigrant Communities On Staten Island
  • Mamdani Seeks Power from State Lawmakers to Dissolve the Charter Revision Commission
  • Trump Strengthens Bank Access Regulations for Non Citizens in U.S. Financial System
  • NYC Mayoral Charter Revision Commission Schedules Public Hearings Across Four Boroughs

Menu

  • Home
  • Trump Admin
  • Mamdani Admin
  • Metro
  • U.S.
  • 2026 Elections
  • International

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Home
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Mona Davids, Founder and Publisher
  • Mymoena Kalinisan-Davids, Director of Communications and Editor-in-Chief
  • Newspaper Digital Editions

© 2025 LittleAfrica News. All Rights Reserved.

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?